Friday 17 May 2013

My Skincare Routine


Skin Overview:
  • Oily/Combination ( Very oily in the T-zone)
  • Enlarged Pores
  • Acne Scarring
  • Dark Under-eye circles
It took me a while to find a skin care line that worked for my skin. Alpha-H really changed everything for me. Their main active ingredient is Glycolic Acid (an AHA derived from Sugar Cane), which seemed to have worked better for my skin than Salicylic Acid.


I currently have 3 different types of Alpha-H cleansers at the moment, seeing as my skin is usually oily I usually us the Triple Action Cleanser, When I'm breaking out I'll use the Clear Skin Daily Face Wash and now that it's winter and my skin can get dry, I've also purchased the Balancing Cleanser which has a creamy consistency.

Day Time Routine:
  • I cleanse my face with one of the above cleansers once, to freshen up my skin.
  • I've recently been using and absolutely loving the Alpha-H Gentle Daily Exfoliant - the name basically sums it up. I love it so much I will do a review on it :)
  • To hydrate my skin, I use the Mario Badescu Facial Spray with Aloe Herbs & Rosewater. It is also a nice "wake me up" product to use in the mornings. 
  • To help treat my dark circles and eye bags I have been using the Alpha-H Absolute Eye Complex. I'm liking it so far but haven't used it long enough to see results. 
  • Now this is the most important step of anyone's skin care routine. It is very important to be using an SPF+ Moisturiser each day. Especially if you are using exfoliating your skin frequently, like my self, you want to protect it from the harsh UV rays that can further damage and age your skin.

 Night Time Routine:
  • Firstly, If I've worn a full face of make-up that day, I will remover it with the Neutrogena Make-Up Remover Cleansing Wipes. I find these to be really effective and also moisturising.
  • If I'm not wearing a lot of makeup I will usually just take it off with my Triple Action Cleanser which also takes off mascara. I will then go in for a second cleanse, using my Clarisonic Mia for a deep cleanse. The Clarisonic Mia is gentle enough to use twice a day, but since I use my Gentle Daily Exfoliant in the mornings, I will just leave the Clarisonic for at night.
  • My night time toner is a more treated one as it contains Glycolic acid as well. If I have been really rough with my skin in terms of exfoliating and treating, I will just use the Facial Spray I use  in the morning instead, to give my skin it's hydration.
  • Same as in the morning, I use my Absolute Eye Complex eye serum
  • I use the Alpha-H Balancing Moisturiser at night which contains 10% Glycolic Acid.

Items I don't use on a daily basis
  • Alpha-H Liquid Gold Perfecting Daywear - I mainly use this on days when I'm just at home, not wearing make-up or going out in the sun.
  • I have 2 facial masks, again from Alpha-H. I use these once a week each. One contains glycolic acid (surprise surprise) and the other is a clay mask which contains Vitamin A. I like to use this one when I have breakouts or if I feel my skin is really clogged and I want to draw everything out.
  • Micro Cleanse - an exfoliating scrub. I love this stuff, it contains 12% glycolic acid, it really does the job in exfoliating your skin and it smells good too. Since using the gentle daily exfoliant and Clarisonic Mia, I've sort of been giving myself a break for this. But it's definitely something I will be using for a long time.
  • PMD Personal Microderm - I've had this for 2 years but since I was getting professional Microdermabrasions and Glycolic Peels, I stopped using it. I'm starting to use it again. It is really good to have at home for when you can't really spend much on treatments but still want a deeper exfoliating treatment.
And we're done. Wow, I use a lot of products. But that's what happens when you have had problematic skin and have studied Beauty Therapy! haha. I have definitely spent a lot on skin care, but it's worth it because it is so important to keep your skin healthy. Alpha-H has really worked for me. I have also worked with and used Dermalogica and Ultraceuticals, which are also great but just not my favourite.

These brands are pricey, but you really don't need to use that much at all. It will last you a long time as well as giving you results which is what we want. It's better to invest in some good skin care rather then to waste money on cheaper products that don't work - trust me, I've been there!

Let me know if there's anything you want to see a review on as I only gave a quick run down on the products cause I knew this would be long!


No comments:

Post a Comment